Following the pause of the RNLI's 2020 Lifeguard Service due to due to the coronavirus pandemic and the resulting measures put in place by the UK Government to control the spread of the virus, there is no lifeguard service on Sandown Beach this season.
To help keep visitors safe the RNLI have launched a Beach Safety Campaign, working in partnership with the UK Coastguard, to provide families with simple, memorable beach safety advice #BeBeachSafe.
• Take care near cliffs - know your route and your limitations.
• Have a plan - check the weather forecast and tide times.
• If you fall into the water unexpectedly, Float to Live. Fight your instinct to thrash around, lean back, extend your arms and legs, and Float.
• If boating, ensure your equipment is functioning and maintained before going afloat.
• In any coastal emergency dial 999 or 112 and ask for the Coastguard.